Other Academic Information

The following information is presented for new students and continuing majors to help navigate the requirements of the program of study in art history and in historic preservation & community planning. Included are faculty contacts, summaries of the majors, tips for students, forms, and much of what you need to know to successfully complete your degree.

If you have any questions concerning the art history major, student scholarships, employment opportunities, or the curriculum, please seek out a faculty member for assistance, or come to the main departmental office at 301 Simons Fine Arts Center. Historic Preservation majors should go to the Cameron House at 12 Bull Street for assistance.


Courses should not be taken in strictly sequential order. Many 100 and 200 level courses have no prerequisites. Students are encouraged to take a combination of 100, 200 and 300 level courses throughout their time in the major. Please refer to the specifics of the major academic requirements sheets for the details about which classes are required, and in what order.

ARTH 299 (Research and Methods in Art History)

This course is a requirement for all art history majors, and should be taken in the sophomore or junior year, at the latest. It must be taken before ARTH 415. Seniors are blocked from registering for the course without permission from the Chair, and permission will require special circumstances.

A special note for double majors in HPCP and ARTH:
Note that ARTH 299 and HPCP 299 ARE NOT THE SAME CLASS. Any HPCP student who adds the major in ARTH must take ARTH 299 immediately upon declaring the double major. Students will not be able to register for the course in their senior year.

The department has also prepared a guideline sheet for those students who wish to double major, with requirements and restrictions listed: click here

ARTH 415 and HPCP 415
The 415 class is the culminating senior seminar course for all majors. The topic of each seminar will change, as the course rotates among the faculty every semester. Students can take the course in any semester once they have attained senior standing. Double majors should take either ARTH 415 or HPCP 415. Honors students contract individually with a faculty member to write their senior honor’s thesis, and this is accepted as the equivalent of 415.


Writing well is a critical skill for all of our majors. Students who would like help with their writing can visit the Center for Student Learning Writing Lab, and should use the resources available on-line through the College of Charleston Library.


Career Services is an important resource as you near graduation. They can help you with writing a resume, learning interviewing techniques, and putting together a packet that will include letters of reference. You may need to request letters of reference from faculty members in your major. It is best to request letters from faculty who know you and your work. It is best to allow faculty at least two weeks to prepare a letter, so plan ahead, and provide all the needed information for the position or graduate school to which you are applying. You should know that non-confidential letters may not have as much impact as confidential ones.

Social Media